I know I don't post seafood recipes regularly as both my hubby and myself a little conscious with our diet. But, I was craving for calamari lately.
Deep fried calamari is the common method, but then, I wish to add in some Chinese touch in my recipe. I had added with Chinese five spices powder in the spices mixtures and "chili padi" or bird chilies to boost-up the spiciness.
This will be another easy to prepare recipe which suitable for any occasions, hope you like it too!
800gm fresh or frozen squids, clean and cut into 1/2 inch rings
2 eggs, beaten
1 cup cornstarch
Oil for deep frying
1 tbsp ground black pepper
1/2 tbsp ground white pepper
1/2 tsp Chinese five spices powder
1/2 tsp kosher salt
1 tbsp olive oil
1 tbsp chopped scallions
2 cloves minced garlic
2 tbsp minced red onions
8 - 10 "chili padi" or bird chili, smashed and minced
Lime wedges , for serving
1. In a large saucepan or wok, heat up oil for deep frying.
2. Divide the squids into two portions. In a bowl, dip squids in the beaten egg, squeeze out the access of egg and transfer them into another bowl of cornstarch and later into the hot oil. Fry the squids until golden brown and crispy. Repeat the same for another portion.
3. Sprinkle the mixtures of spices on the fried squids and mix well. Set aside.
4. Heat-up olive oil on high heat in a pan or wok, saute minced garlic, red onions, chopped scallions and minced bird chilies until fragrant, return the squids into the wok and stir-fry for 2 - 3 minutes.
5. Transfer on to platter and serve with lemon wedges.