Countdown to Chinese New Year, is another five days to go! Are you all ready to welcome this Chinese Lunar New Year? Still thinking of what to cook for your reunion dinner, well, I am sharing another popular recipe - Deep Fried Phoenix Ball (风凰球).
This deep-fried Phoenix Ball is wrapping the salted egg yolk with minced or ground pork meat that mixed with other ingredients. The Phoenix Balls are crispy outside and the inside of ground meat which mixed with other ingredients has made the dish more tasty and appetizing.
This recipe always to be chosen to be one dish on the appetizer menu that named as Four or Five Treasures dish in any of the Chinese celebrations sit-down dinner. Now that you had this recipe, you don't need to wait for any occasion, but do it by yourself at home. It's easy to make taste yummy!
As we are usher in the Chinese New Year, I will take a short break in up-dating this blog and shall get back in early March. I would like to take opportunity wishing you and your family a Happy and Prosperous Chinese New Year. Gong Xi Fa
500g ground or minced pork meat
50g carrot, finely shredded
1 egg white
2 sprigs of spring onions, chopped
2 shallots, chopped
2 tbsp tapioca flour
1/2 tsp Chinese Five Spice powder
2 tsp salt
2 tsp pepper
1 tbsp sesame oil
5 salted egg yolks, steamed
1 or 2 egg mixture (depending on size)
1/2 cup corn starch flour
Oil for deep-frying
1. Heat-up steamer, steam egg yolks for 3 to 5 minutes. Set aside until cold.
2. Combine all Ingredients A in a bowl and mix evenly. Divide the mixtures into 5 portions evenly.
3. Place each of the portion with one of the salted egg yolk in the middle and wrap into a ball shape. Repeat the same for the rest of 4 portions.
4. Coat every piece of the meat ball with the egg mixture, then into the corn starch flour.
5. Heat-up oil in a wok or pot, deep fry the meatballs until golden brown or cooked.
6. Remove from wok or pot, drained.
7. Cut them into pieces before serving.