Sunday 10 November 2013

Crispy Lemon Chicken


Happy Sunday!  What have you planned for dinner today?  As for me I am craving for something that I had missed for quite sometime - Lemon Chicken.

I am sure when you do a Google search, you will find there are lots of varieties of Lemon Chicken recipes.  But for the common Chinese style, it usually make up of pieces of deep-fried chicken meat that coated with batter and served with a thick and sweet lemon flavor sauce.  

My lemon chicken I have discarded the traditional way of using batter but just corn starch instead.  Reason is to avoid the texture to turn soggy when it coat with the sauce.  I like it to be crispy. 

As for the sauce, I love a greater lemon taste, so I have used not only the juice but also the zest.  I even used the zest for marinating the meat.  So, can you imagine the strong lemon taste in my chicken?  Well, if you are not really into that kind strong taste, you may always adjust to your own taste of flavor.

This recipe is not only can be served as a dish to go with plain white rice but it also a good choice to serve as one of the appetizer or finger food.


INGREDIENTS
1 boneless chicken breast , slice into strips

Marinade ingredients:
1 egg
2 tbsp soy sauce
2 tbsp Chinese wine (I used Shaoxing wine)
1 tbsp sesame oil
1 lemon zest

1 cup corn starch
Salt to taste 
Oil for deep frying

Sauce:
1/2 cup chicken stock (I made my own chicken stock)


1/2 cup lemon juice (is about from 2 lemons)
1 lemon zest
5 tbsp sugar
1 tbsp of corn starch dissolved in 2 tbsp water (depending on how thick the sauce you prefer)
Salt to taste

Garnish: Tossed sesame seed & cut scallion


DIRECTIONS
1. Crack an egg in a bowl.  Add in soy sauce, Shaoxing wine, sesame oil, lemon zest and combine well.




2. Add in chicken meat and marinate for 20 minutes.

3. When chicken meat is ready after 20 minutes, dip every piece of the chicken mean in a separate bowl of corn starch that had mixed with some salt.

4. Set aside all dipped chicken strips in a separate tray or plate.

5. Heat-up oil and deep fry the chicken strips batch by batch.

6. Fry the chicken strips for about 3-5 minutes or until golden brown and cooked.

7. Once cooked removed, drain and set aside on paper towels.

8. In another sauce pan, combine lemon juice, zest and chicken stock and cook on a medium heat.

9. Once its start to boil, add in sugar and continue to cook for 1-2 minutes until it turns thicker.

10. When the sauce begin to boil again, add in the corn starch that had mixed with water and let it boil until it turns glossy.

11. Return all fried chicken meat in a pan.  Scoop the hot sauce bit by bit on top of the fried chicken and toss it a bit to make sure all meat are coated.


12. Transfer chicken on a platter and garnish with tossed sesame seeds and cut scallions and serve it hot.







5 comments:

  1. Ooh this looks absolutely delicious! I just love the crispy shiny look it has and its a must try for sure :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Soni, it's really taste good with the assorted lemon sauce.

    ReplyDelete
  3. this looks yummy! lemon chicken is my favourite. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi seetfei,

    (I don’t know how to catch your attention but hopefully you could spare me a minute to read this message. I already contacted you through your e-mail, here is my message.)

    My name is Freddy. Surfing on the net I found your blog and noticed you have a great number of tasty recipes there, that is why I am contacting you. I wonder if you would like join our website www.mytaste.com and receive more visitors to your blog through making your recipes available to a greater number of internet users.

    Mytaste.com has been launched recently and from the first day it has gained popularity among food lovers. Today the site can be found in 45 countries, where we deliver thousands of visitors to food blogs daily. Some Top Food Blogs on our pages receive more than 20 thousands unique visitors a week.

    Recently and to improve the user experience and develop their loyalty we added social features that allow our users to create cookbooks, save recipes and follow other users. This means that when a recipe from your blog is saved, the user will always have the opportunity of visiting your blog again.

    So, if this sounds like a good plan to you, please visit our website & add your blog through the Top Food Blogs section here: www.mytaste.com/add-your-food-blog There you will find all the instructions you need to follow to become a part of our bloggers family.

    Hopefully your food blog will be up there in the top!
    If you have any questions please don’t hesitate to contact us at info@mytaste.com

    Warm regards,
    Freddy

    ReplyDelete